Apple season is almost upon us once again! Autumn brings us a wide variety of one of nature’s most versatile and beautiful fruits. Prepare yourself with this delicious recipe.
There’s nothing quite as delicious on a chilly autumn afternoon as a caramel apple, but they can be difficult to handle and messy to eat. This alternative, Homemade Apple Chips with Caramel Cream Dip, hits the spot and works well as a dessert or snack.
Homemade Apple Chips with Caramel Cream Dip (*see dietary notes)
Recipe by: Chef Kelly Yorke
|2 each||Apple, cored, sliced paper-thin|
|8 oz.||Neufchatel cheese|
|4 oz.||Caramel topping (as for ice cream)|
|4 oz.||Agave nectar|
|1/4 tsp.||Cinnamon, ground|
- (FOR CHIPS): Use an apple core tool to remove the core, seeds and stem from the apple (leave the skin on). Use a sharp paring or slicing knife, or a mandolin, to cut the apple into paper-thin evenly thick slices. Dip slices in lemon juice, drain, and then lay each slice (one layer thick and not touching each other) on a silicon mat lined (or non-stick foil-lined) cookie sheet.
- Bake at 200° F for 45 minutes or until dry to the touch (make take as long as 1 to 1-1/2 hours).
- Remove slices from the sheet and transfer to a sheet of wax or parchment paper while they are still warm. If you try to do this after the slices have cooled, they are more likely to break. Slices will crisp upon cooling.
- Store cooled chips at room temperature in an airtight container until needed.
- (FOR DIP): Beat cheese in mixer bowl until soft and fluffy. While still beating slowly incorporate remaining ingredients until well blended and smooth. Transfer Mixture to a serving bowl.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve apple chips on platter with bowl of dip.
*Note: You can sprinkle super fine sugar and cinnamon on the apple before baking them if you want sweeter tasting apple chips (I prefer to keep them naturally sweet especially if they are served with a sweet dip). If you prefer to purchase pre-made apple chips, Seneca Foods “Crispy Sour Apple Chips” is a recommended choice.
YIELD: 4 Servings
- To make Vegan (SV), Vegetarian (VG) and dairy-free (DF), omit Neufchatel cheese and replace with 8 ounces of Tofutti’s “Better than Cream Cheese” .
Per Serving: 341 Calories, 53g Carbohydrates, 14g Fat, 6g Protein, 4g Dietary Fiber, 43mg Cholesterol, 325mg Sodium.
Chef Kelly Yorke